Sunday, February 22, 2009

And the Oscar goes to . . .


I'd like to thank the Academy for the recognition awarded me tonight. I'd also like to thank the following people for helping me to make it to this point in my life:

Sound familiar? I won't lie, I do love the Oscars. I love the gowns, and I love the people who trash the gowns. I love the camera panning out to to see reaction of the one's who lose. I love that it's live and that someone just might trip on their way up the stairs.

But back to the thanks. I'm thinking a lot lately about Karma, about life, and about teachers. I really believe that every incident that comes our way throughout our day is a teacher. Every person who cuts us off in traffic, every email that hits our inbox asking for us to do more work than we can possibly accomplish, every first date that makes us feel like a kid, and the ones that never call again-all of them are our teachers.

If we sit back and learn, we can matriculate through this period and go on to the next, but if we sass back to the teacher and resent the lesson, we are doomed to repeat the grade.

I'm trying really hard to PAY ATTENTION. To just be aware, and awake. To live consiously, not just stumbling along. I want to love with gusto every soul that comes into my path, and forgive those who hurt me along the way too. Sometimes it's like paddling upstream and other times it feels like floating along with the current.

I'd like to thank all my teachers past and present, and hope to be open to learning from those still to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

one time i commented on how handsom a picture of some son you have was. you told me, "you know you're not so bad looking yourself."
the way you said it helped me move forward. sometimes you teach as well as learn. thanks for that lesson.