Saturday, May 17, 2008

Oh man, I LOVE this!

My sister just gave me the news last night: SMART IS THE NEW SKINNY!

Now, maybe for some of you that doesn't mean anything, but for all of us who were never the prom queen, this is the best news since Paypal!

I have always been the girl ( I use that loosely as I am 53 after all) that the guys want to talk to. Yeah, they want to talk to me about their girlfriends. I am the one they all came to when they needed "advice". As if!

Having been through marriage and divorce I now chuckle if any of my married friends even so much as glance at me for advice "Uh, need I remind you that I flunked that class with flying colors???"

Yeah, well, back to smart. I don't think I'm a genius but I am clever. I remember stupid shit that no one else does. Example:

First woman to win the Iditarod in Alaska=Libby Riddles

Why do I keep this bit of information in my head? What, in case I'm sitting in a bar some day and a couple of hot looking men are discussing the Iditarod when I overhear them saying "God, I cannot remember the name of that first woman who won it, if only there was a woman so full of trivia, so resplendant in her nerdification that she would know the answer in an instant, now that would be SOME woman. . ."

I would look over and say "Pardon me?", and at this point I would deliver a pregnant pause allowing them to notice me because up until this point I have been UTTERLY INVISIBLE. Surprised to see me sitting RIGHT NEXT TO THEM, they would turn and say "Huh?"

I would then say, in a very sexy 'come hither I am your intellectual dominatrix' voice "Weren't you maybe thinking of Libby Riddles?"

This is the part where their eyes glass over and they begin flirting with me, but HELLO! SNAP OUT OF IT, THIS IS REALITY!

They say "Uh, maybe. Thanks." and turn around. Okay, well I was only here for the bar peanuts anyway you knuckle dragging trogladytes.

I would still take Will Shortz and Ira Glass over David Beckham any day. Smart IS sexy in my book. I only hope there are still men around who feel the same. NERD ALERT!!

No comments: