Monday, March 10, 2008

Anxiety and Eating Disorders

I just heard a really interesting fact: young girls who have problems with anxiety are twice as likely to have an eating disorder when they grow up.
I have been anxious my entire life, and each time I have tried medication for it, I've gained weight. So I control my anxiety the best I can and I have a prescription for an as needed medication when I feel a panic attack. Luckily for me I haven't had a terrible time with it. I have gone to the emergency room on two occasions, certain that I was in the midst of a heart attack and moments away from death. After thousands of dollars worth of testing, I am informed that I have anxiety. And, P.S. I'm addicted to food.
Food is a comfort, no doubt and I needed comfort as a kid growing up in a family that was less than safe. My parents, God love them, did the best they could and I do not engage in opening old wounds. But suffice it to say that I was an axious kid, and continue to struggle with my anxiety.
The factual link from anxiety to adult eating disorders is an interesting one, but honestly, if I could placate my anxieties with some tool or gadget, I would have done it by now. I've been in therapy more than once, which did help immensely.
One of the best things for me is to let go. Let go of thinking that I am in charge of protecting my entire family and all of my friends from lurking unseen danger. Let go of the "what if's" and let go of trying to control what does or does not happen to me. If I can get into that space where I truly believe that everything is divine chaos, and that life unfolds just as it should, then I can take a deep breath and relax a bit. A bit.
I aspire to find comfort in other things besides a piece of melting dark chocolate on my tongue. I would like to find comfort in the whiff of lilacs, or the feel of a velvet blanket next to my cheek.
There are no excuses about being fat, no one made me fat, only me. But it does help to have some insight. It helps to understand that when I was making chocolate pudding on the stove when I was ten years old, it wasn't just because I liked it. I was because it made me feel less anxious.
I know part of my journey is to connect more to God, or a higher power, or Mother Earth, or the Collective Unconscious-WHAT EVER- and to seek peace. I do believe that if I fill myself more with peace, there won't be as much room for anxiety.
I'm hoping also that I've created a relationship with my own children that is safe for them, and by doing so I honor that part of me that wished for safety as a child and never quite found it. I think we can heal a bit; almost vicariously when we nurture our children or our partners in ways that we never were allowed. It feels good and somehow that loving energy is relayed back to us.
Peace to all who read this.

No comments: