Saturday, March 29, 2008

The rewards

Today I participated in a 5-K race (let's be honest here, a walk) and I woke up this morning thinking about it. "No big deal" I thought, it's just a bit over three miles. I got to the park where the race was to take place and as I was being directed to park my eyes filled with tears. I'm so grateful that I am no longer carrying around all that weight. One year ago I could barely make it up a flight of stairs, today I will go home with a teeshirt and medal. Stacie and Connie met me there and we talked, took pictures, and felt the commaraderie of being with others who have gone through a similar experience. We were near the last of those to finish, but we felt great. We accomplished something that is new ground for us, and it felt good!
On the drive home I thought about how, when you meet a goal, it gives you the incentive to want to set other goals and meet them. It gives you hope. Hope is something that was in short supply when I was overweight. I was certain that I would never be able to jump that hurdle, having tried so many times before. Today I feel a bit more hopeful that I can do anything I set my mind to do, and it feels really really good.

No comments: