Thursday, September 4, 2008

TV Blackout


Okay, it's quiet on the dark side of the planet. I am normally in high def dorkification during political highlights, but I have to admit here and now, that I did not watch Sarah Palin speak at the Koolaid fest Thursday night. I left the television off. Why? There isn't enough anti-nausea medication on the planet that would allow me to ingest all the putrid rhetoric that was set to be spewed. Can I comment on her speech? No, I cannot. I can only say this for anyone on the fence about this election: Our basic rights are in jeopardy here. A vote for McCain will set us back decades. Roe v Wade will be overturned and women will be dominated by men again about what they can do with their bodies.
There are those of us who still believe in individual rights. We will not go back, we will not ask for permission, and we sure as hell will not tolerate the misogyny that was the norm in bygone days. We stand on the shoulders of great men and women who have fought long and hard for women's rights. I will not stand by and watch that overturned by a group of war mongering, bible thumping zealots. My body, my decision. We would all do well to put all of our time, energy and finances toward the goal of getting Barack Obama elected as our next president. God help us all if it goes the other way.

No comments: