Thursday, February 28, 2008

What, me worry?

Yes well, there was much discussion tonight in my weight loss support group about the fear of gaining the weight back once we've lost it. Most of us have lost weight many times, and gained it back again. Like smokers, or people prone to substance abuse, we all have our demons to wrestle. We all agreed that it takes more than changing our behaviors to make a lasting change., yet each of us admits that we aren't sure what it means for us. Here is a wonderful quote I found:


“Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. Use the pain as fuel, as a reminder of your strength.”
August Wilson quotes (American Writer, 1945-2005)

I know I am not alone when I say I can look back at my life and see a trail of dark challenges that I somehow managed to work through. I am proud of myself, and grateful to God and my friends and family, for having made it through some very difficult and dark days. Hell, years. So I think it's worth taking stock and realizing that we have survived some tough times, and we made it! We are stronger than we give ourselves credit for, and if we remember that, we can forge ahead with passion and committment on this weight loss journey. It's one day at a time, and each day gets us closer to the goal.

I want to take that quote and try to use it in the coming week. I will meditate on forgiveness. Many fat people are walking wounded. We have hurts that we have never spoken of, and hurts too crushing to remember. I will see what surfaces in my thoughts and dreams, and I will forgive. I will also try to forgive myself for not making my health a priority sooner, for not caring enough about myself to commit to permanent change. This illumination can only help to clear the underbrush on the path to our own personal enlightenment.

Who do you need to forgive? Is there pain in your past or present that you can shine the light on and let go of?

Dont forget the mantra: Hell yes we can!

No comments: